PhD (Philosophy), 2005
University of California, Santa Barbara
BA (Philosophy), 1992
University of California, Los Angeles
Distinguished Lecturer (2001)
University of San Francisco
"The epistemic value of good sense." Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 43.1 (2012): 139-146.
"Duhem–Quine virtue epistemology." Synthese 187.2 (2012): 673-692.“Epistemic Motivation” in Virtue Epistemology: Essays on Epistemic Virtue and Responsibility (Fairweather and Zagzebski eds. OUP 2001)
"Inferential Abilities and Common Epistemic Goods.” (with Carlos Montemayor) in Virtue Epistemology Naturalized. Springer International Publishing, 2014. 123-139.
" Epistemic Dexterity: A Ramseyian Account of Agent Based Knowledge.” in Naturalizing Epistemic Virtue. Cambridge University Press. 2014
“Secession and Self-Determination” in Human Rights in the 21st Century
Fairweather, Abrol, and Owen Flanagan, eds. Naturalizing Epistemic Virtue. Cambridge University Press, 2014.
Fairweather, Abrol, ed. Virtue Epistemology Naturalized: Bridges Between Virtue Epistemology and Philosophy of Science. Vol. 366. Springer, 2014.
Epistemic Situationism (co-edited with Mark Alfano, Oxford University Press, (forthcoming)
Virtue Epistemology: Essays on Epistemic Virtue and Responsibility , co-edited with Linda Zagzebski (Oxford Universtiy Press, 2001)
Transitional Justice, a special issue of Peace Review: An International Political Quarterly (March ‘00), co-edited with Aleksander Jokic.
Pop-Culture work for teaching
- The Blues and Philosophy, Editor, forthcoming from Blackwell-Wiley in the Philosophy and Popular Culture series, 2009.
- "Humean Natural Sympathy, Facebook and Group Dynamics", forthcoming in Facebook and Philosophy. Open Court Publishers, 2009
- "Nietzsche's Child, Spiritual Violence and the Religion Question", forthcoming in His Dark Materials and Philosophy. Open Court Publishers, 2009.
- “Virtue Epistemology Strikes Back”. Response to Mark Alfano at 2012 APA.
- “Quine’s Evil Demons”. Response to Gila Sher at the 1999 Pacific APA Symposium on Quine’s philosophy.
- “Truth and Rationality”. Response to Richard Foley at the conference “Virtue and Duty in Epistemology” (11/99)
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Director: The Center For Philosophical Education, Santa Barbara City College, 1996-2003. Oversee all elements of conference planning, publication, fund raising and future direction of the organization with two other Directors.
- Consulting Editor of STOA: The International Undergraduate Journal of
- Grants Writer: 8 grants accepted for conference funding, totaling $125,000.00.
- Conference Director: Ran all phases of conference planning, funding and implementation for Humphries Conference Series at Santa Barbara City College, 1996-2002
Emotion and Cognition (5-00)
Emotion and Race (3-00)
- Lecturer, San Francisco State University, 2007 - present
- Instructor with Preferred Hiring, University of San Francisco, 1998-Present
- Instructor, Las Positas College, 2001 – Present
- Lecturer, San Jose State University, 2000-2001
- Lecturer, Loyola Marymount University, 1997-1998
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
Emotion & Mind
AREAS OF COMPETENCE
Philosophy of Language